building memstick without root
Lexi Winter
2024-04-21 18:45:22 UTC
hello,

is it expected that running 'make -C release memstick' requires root?
the build fails for me with:

install: /src/obj/src/freebsd/src/main/riscv.riscv64/release/dist/kernel/boot/kernel/kernel: chown/chgrp: Operation not permitted

as i understand it, makefs should be able to build images as a non-root
user using mtree, but i'm not sure if this is hooked up to the build
system, or if i'm doing something else wrong - maybe i need a
make.conf/src.conf option set?
Brooks Davis
2024-04-22 16:25:25 UTC
Post by Lexi Winter
hello,
is it expected that running 'make -C release memstick' requires root?
install: /src/obj/src/freebsd/src/main/riscv.riscv64/release/dist/kernel/boot/kernel/kernel: chown/chgrp: Operation not permitted
as i understand it, makefs should be able to build images as a non-root
user using mtree, but i'm not sure if this is hooked up to the build
system, or if i'm doing something else wrong - maybe i need a
make.conf/src.conf option set?
You'll need to define NO_ROOT. I think that's sufficent, but I'm not
100% certain. We build CheriBSD releases without root on Linux hosts.

-- Brooks

--
Posted automagically by a mail2news gateway at muc.de e.V.
Please direct questions, flames, donations, etc. to news-***@muc.de
Lexi Winter
2024-04-22 19:26:05 UTC
Post by Brooks Davis
Post by Lexi Winter
is it expected that running 'make -C release memstick' requires root?
You'll need to define NO_ROOT. I think that's sufficent, but I'm not
100% certain. We build CheriBSD releases without root on Linux hosts.
thanks Brooks, that has sorted it.